When you use Jamma, there are expectations for how you must respect and protect the privacy of other members. These expectations are spelled out in our Terms and Conditions. Please read it. Violating these rules or other aspects of the Terms and Conditions may lead to a loss of account privileges, potentially including a permanent ban from Jamma .
1.0 What is Jamma?
Jamma is a private question and answer platform for immigrant communities; our mission is to make it easier for immigrants to share information and to help each other.
We use “Jamma” here to refer to our Services and we also use “Jamma”, “we”, “us” and “our” to refer to the companies operating our Services.
2.0 Who provides the Services and controls my information?
The Services operated and provided to you by Jamma Communities Ltd. For the purposes of EU data protection law, Jamma Communities Ltd is the controller of your information.
3.0 Our legal bases
4.0 Information we collect
When we provide the Services, we collect or receive information in several different ways. In many cases you choose what information to provide. Some information is required in order to use Jamma and for us to provide the Services. We use this information for the purposes described further below.
4.1 From you, or with your permission. We collect a variety of information from you when you provide it to us directly, when we request it from you, or when you give us permission to get it from a third party source. Some examples of these instances are as follows:
- When you sign up for Jamma, you provide your name, address, phone number, profile photo, email address, and similar information.
- If you decide to invite new members to join Jamma, you can choose to share their residential or email address with us, or share your contacts with us, so we can send an invitation and follow-up reminders to potential new members on your behalf
- If you use Facebook to log in to Jamma (or later connect your Facebook account to your Jamma account) you authorize Facebook to share your personal information with us, including your name and email address
- If you want to help your community and Jamma get to know you better, you may share information about yourself in your profile, including your interests, skills and work information
- If you want to connect and communicate with community about specific interests, you may share information about your interests.
- If you want to communicate with your community and share Content, you might post something on Jamma
- If you take part in surveys or other general research we undertake, you may provide information in response.
4.2 From your browser and device. Like nearly every other online service, we automatically collect technical information when you visit or use Jamma or read a message from us. We collect information from your browser, computer, or mobile device. This provides us with technical information when you use Jamma as a visitor or a member, including:
- Device data which tells us about the device you’re using, what type and model it is, its operating system and version, its unique identifier, crash data (if applicable), and what settings you’ve enabled. Your device and software settings affect what information your device makes available to us.
- Log data which is automatically recorded by our servers based on data sent by your app or browser. This typically includes the date and time you visited, the browser or app version you used (and its settings), the URLs you come from and go to, your IP address and protocol, and how you used Jamma (for example, which links you clicked on).
- Pixels, SDKs and other storage technologies, which operate similar to cookies, are used by us, as well as by certain third parties, such as social media networks and advertiser platforms, to collect or receive information from our and other websites and apps to provide measurement services and target ads.
5.0 How we use your information
We use the information we have to help us provide, operate, improve, understand, customize, support, and market our Services.
5.1 Establishing and developing communities. We use information to identify and invite potential new members to Jamma, and to set up new Jamma neighborhoods. For example, we use the information we have to identify new members and, if you ask us to, send invitations and reminders on your behalf, send direct mail invitations, invite your Facebook friends, or notify you when we start offering the Services to your community.
5.3 Provide and improve the Services. We use both manual and automated systems to analyze and use your Content (as defined in the User Terms) and other information:
6.0 Your Rights
You benefit from a number of rights in relation to your information that we process. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. We describe these rights below.
In certain cases, such as for access to, rectification or deletion of your information, please be sure to read the options you have under the ‘Your Choices’ section above.
7.0 Access and Porting
7.1. You can access much of Jamma Jamma information by logging into your Jamma account. For EU member accounts, if you require additional access or if you are not currently a Jamma member, email us at email@example.com to request a copy of your Jamma information. Where legally required, we will provide your information in an easily accessible format and assist in transferring some of this information to third parties.
7.2 Rectify, restrict, delete. You can also rectify, restrict, or delete much of your Jama information by logging into your Jamma account.
7.3 Object. If we process your information based on our legitimate interests explained above, or in the public interest, and you have an EU member account, you can object to this processing in certain circumstances. In such cases, we will cease processing your information unless we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing or where it is needed for legal reasons. Where we use your data for direct marketing, you can always object by using the unsubscribe link in such communications, changing your email account settings or by contacting us.
7.4 Revoke consent. You can withdraw your consent to email marketing by using the unsubscribe link in such communications or by changing your email account settings. You can also revoke any consent you have provided to us for our collection of your geolocation information by changing the settings on your mobile device. In addition, if you have an EU member account and you have previously provided your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your information at any time. If you withdraw your consent to the use of your information for the purposes set out in this Policy, you may not have access to all (or any) of our Services and we might not be able to provide you all (or any) of the Services under this Policy and our User Terms. In certain cases, we may continue to process your information after you have withdrawn consent if we have a legal basis to do so, or if your withdrawal of consent was limited to certain processing activities.
8.0 Sharing information with third parties
We share information with service providers, affiliates, partners, and other third parties where it is necessary to perform the User Terms, to provide the Services, or for any other purposes described in the Policy.
8.1 Content shared within the Jamma community. Jamma is a platform for immigrants to share helpful information with each other. To that end, we make the Content you post on Jamma, such as posts, replies, recommendations, messages, and your profile information, visible to other members based on the preferences in your settings, the preferences on the Content you provide, and as described in this Policy.
8.2 Marketing and spam. We know that you do not want spam or marketing calls from third parties, and we won’t share your contact information with a third party other than as described in this Policy without your authorisation.
8.3 Third party vendors and service providers. We may share your personal information with certain third party vendors and service providers to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customise, support, and market our Services. These vendors and service providers are contractually required to use it only to provide their service to us, and contractually barred from using it for their own purposes. (For example, we use a company to help test and analyze the performance of our website and mobile applications. We may also use trusted third party payment processors to accept payments for certain services made available on Jamma.)
9.0 Additional information
9.1 Account security. Jamma uses technical and organizational measures intended to keep your data secure, including using https on our web pages to reduce the risk of unauthorized interception of your communications during your visits to the website. However, the internet is not a fully secure environment and we cannot guarantee that your personal information won’t be intercepted or improperly accessed. Please ensure that you keep your password safe and do not share it with anyone.
9.2 Other Services and websites. In using Jamma, you may come across links to websites and services operated by third parties (for example, if a member shares a link to a video on YouTube, or if an advertiser provides a link to a contest or sweepstakes). These third parties have their own privacy policies, which will apply to your activity if you click on the link and access their website or service. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for such external sites’ privacy and security practices.
9.3 Amendments to the Policy. From time to time we may make changes to this Policy, so please review it periodically. If we materially change our Policy, we will take steps to notify you in advance of the change, for example by emailing you or by posting a notice in your community feed.
- Contact Us
If you live in the EU, you can reach out Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org